Bull crap:  "My RWD diesels (W116 and W123) are useless in the snow."
They were only incompetent in schnee because they had bad tires on. The 123 or 126 does not choose the tires it is on.

As Jim says, tires and weight in the right places are key, as with any vehicle.

My 123 went everywhere in the schnee (Farstone schnee tars)
My first SDL, when I put used Blizzaks on all 4 corners was like driving on dry pavement, until the schnee gets so deep the body floats, causing the tires to lose contact with the road.   Uphill, down it did not matter.
Tires!  The most important insurance policy for your vehicle!

Daughter's 124 vergasser on Blizzaks was also unstoppable in schnee.
Jim Cathey via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 12, 2020 at 5:07 PM

My W115 was great in the snow. Proper snow tires, and maybe
a little bit of trunk weight, are the keys. For the hills, you also need
some brass balls sometimes. Momentum going up the hills is a
requirement.

-- Jim