I drove the 107, 115, 123, and 126 in the occasional ice and snow in OK,
with plenty of hills. Absolutely the worst place was our street and
driveway. I always managed, but it was close sometimes, and a few times I
had to leave one in the street because I couldn't get it up the drive.
Then I got the 2000 ML350. It is the only car (including a Saab Sonnett
III) that had NO problem climbing and iced over drive. It just went right
on up like nothing was wrong. Stopping was no better than anything else
though.
I was (am) very impressed by the ML 4matic - and that was the first
version. I out ran several Jeeps and 4WD pickups in OKC on the hills at
lights with the Saab, back in the day, but the ML was hands down better.
I've never driven a 4matic sedan - don't know how they compare.
We now have the all wheel drive Subaru, but we haven't had significant ice
or snow since we got it to compare to the ML.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 5:20 PM Allan Streib via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Jim Cathey <jim.cathey...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> My RWD diesels (W116 and W123) are useless in the snow.
> >
> > My W115 was great in the snow.  Proper snow tires, and maybe
> > a little bit of trunk weight, are the keys.  For the hills, you also need
> > some brass balls sometimes.  Momentum going up the hills is a
> > requirement.
>
> I've tried sandbags in the trunk. It helps, but only a little. I think
> the tires have been my downfall. Lower-end all-season radials just have
> zero grip in the snow, especially wet icy snow.
>
> Allan

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!