Our HR department was reaching out to find some sort of application or logging
method to track employee’s time via Active Directory or VPN access.

We pretty much told them “No” and explained that logging can’t be a means of
time racking, as it’s easy to spoof and doesn’t always relate directly to
specific operations or actions by a user.

For example, our Cisco VPN client regularly logs on and off in the background
as a normal part of it’s operation. So that’s a service function, not a user
one. Does it mean the user wasn’t working?

Slippery slope, for sure.

-D