Yes we can shift a lot of resources around. But you have to realize it
means nothing else is getting done. All elective surgeries are cancelled
until further notice. All of our anesthesia residents have been temporarily
assigned to ICUs, along with every other qualified fellow (cardiology etc)
in the institution. Currently about 310 of our 900 total beds are occupied
by covid patients, and we are increasing by 15-20 covid patients per day.
The peak in April was 160. Not looking good. Some hospitals in the state
are something like 80-90% covid patients, e.g. El Centro.

The limit on hospital beds is more often a staffing limit than a physical
limit. It isnt like there is a huge pool of RNs out there available to hire
to staff an extra 20 beds every day. This is particularly true of ICU
nurses. Most nurses dont work in ICUs. Respiratory therapists are also in
high demand. Overtime is very expensive.

If you come into the ER for any non-covid reason, your care will be
impacted, including the ambulance taking you to a distant facility because
the ER where you would like to be taken is closed.

At any rate we will do what we have to do. Most of the fear mongering is
media driven - not hospitals or providers. Our hospital is normally full.
Giving up over 300 beds is a big deal. But no one is in the parking lot -
yet.

Hospitals are only "businesses" in the sense that they are not publically
supported, so they run as nonprofits typically. They have to watch the
bottom line or they can run out of cash quickly. If they were not run as
businesses, we would have to pay for them with tax money.

Daily new cases seem to have peaked here now, but hospitalizations tend to
lag the new cases by a week or two. So we could easily be over 400 patients
in hospital before this wave subsides. We also have no idea why we are even
in a wave, as we remain mostly locked down, but there are lots of people in
high density housing working essential jobs who are likely contributing,
and apparently that is enough to cause a spike.

In other news, some details of the botched CDC testing fiasco. What a
cluster this turned out to be when they could have simply bought some tests
from Thailand or Korea. A real  "perfect is the enemy of good" scenario:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/cdc-covid/2020/12/25/c2b418ae-4206-11eb-8db8-395dedaaa036_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F2de0633%2F5fe766a79d2fda0efb94a093%2F5e2922849bbc0f632602b279%2F8%2F68%2F5fe766a79d2fda0efb94a093