Thank you.
Definition of "Ornery" ... 8V71 Detroit 2 stroke, with the mechanical fuel
rack out of trim, Minus 12 F, with about 20 knots of icy wind blowing on
you, and the primary and secondary fuel filters full of gelled fuel.

You replace both filters with new, fill them with fresh heated fuel [hedge
your bets however you can]  Wrestle a pair of 24 volt batteries out of the
battery bay at 90 lbs each, then wrestle a fresh charged set in place [90
lbs each, again], then crank until they are dead and find the starter is
smoking really bad...

Pull the starter, replace it with a new one you just paid $900.00 for while
laying on frozen ground with sleet and snow blowing on you, wrestle the now
dead batteries out of the electrical bay, wrestle a fresh set in..... [this
is getting old, and I'm getting cold].... crank again.... Or....
Remove the 3/8 pipe plug in the fuel filter fixture between primary and
secondary filter, install barbed fitting, plumb in an aux electric pump,
drop the pump pickup hose in a 5 gal can of warmed fuel. force prime the
engine system... hit start and listen to the big diesel start to rumble,
then stagger, then smooth out.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... what a relief it is...

Detroit engine numbering system ... 8= Number of cylinders, V=
configuration, ie V8, V12, V16,.... 71 = Number of cubic inches
displacement for each cylinder... thus... 8V71
No... you can't crank it by hand... ;))