All the propane powered genny sets that I've read the specs on say they
require a liquid propane line, not the gas. That solves the evaporation
cooling problem, and delivers more BTU to the genny engine, though they are
still very thirsty, as propane has a fraction (I should know but don't
remember) of the carbon to burn that gasoline does, which is less than
Diesel/fuel oil.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 8:09 PM Curt Raymond via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>  Its the torpedo heater though, those really slurp down the propane. I
> suspect a generator of significant size would have the same problem.
> A 100# would work better but of course would be decidedly not handy.
> A forklift tank would work too but I don't know where you'd get one
> filled. All the hardware stores and whatnot are geared for 20# tanks.
> Which reminds me. At camp we usually exchange our tanks, the price is
> decent and its convenient.I went and had 2 filled last year. I was shocked
> by how much heavier they felt. It'll be interesting to see how much longer
> 20# lasts. I know they claim the exchange fills are 15# but I'm starting to
> have doubts.
> -Curt
>
>     On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 9:01:57 PM EST, Allan Streib <
> astr...@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>  Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > For cooking/heating use I don't think tank size is a problem until you
> > get down to the BBQ (20#) tank size. I remember reading that at -20F a
> > BBQ tank wouldn't produce enough vapor pressure to run a stove but I
> > suppose that depends on what stove.
>
> I have a propane heater I sometimes use in the garage (torpedo
> heater). With a 20# BBQ tank, the tank will start to frost up after
> about 30 min and the burner flame/heat output diminishes. This is at far
> above -20F, maybe more like +30F or so.
>
> Allan

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!