I did a little more digging because, again I've never actually seen one of the
tillers in the flesh.
It turns out that the narrow and wide frame tillers are essentially the same so
as long as you don't have a "spread frame" (86 series so model number x86)
you're probably fine.

I noticed that the auction included a 90 degree gearbox, oh boy, I hadn't
realized how fun the belts on that thing are. So the long belt I talked about
before goes from the engine, down under the machine to the 90 degree gearbox
that sits behind the transaxle. That thing then lets the belt turn 90 degrees
sideways to run another belt to the tiller.

I did find a couple references that said you absolutely want a creeper gear or
a hydro machine. I'd already guessed that 1st gear would be too fast and I
think I'm right. Fortunately the clutch is relatively easy to replace ;)

-Curt

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 04:12:24 PM EST, Allan Streib <astr...@fastmail.fm>