And make sure your home is as efficient as possible, too.

I’m not discounting the increase in fuel costs by any means, but a lot of times
people will only look at the direct expense (of fuel) rather than ways of
increasing efficiency.

For example, at the Flagstaff house we had an energy audit done right out of
the gate that showed some glaring efficiency issues that we expected based on
our survey of the house when we bought it. The house is about 2,000 sf, wood
frame construction from 1975 on a crawl space. The floor of the house was not
insulated, and never had been since it was built. Blow-in insulation in the
attic space was a mess from being moved around during several renovations as
well as having settled. In fact, it was so bad in some spots it caused ice dams
on the roof that resulted in ceiling damage in one part of the house, yet the
PO didn’t do anything about it.

We took an aggressive approach, which wasn’t cheap, but had insulation
installed in the floor/crawl space, the attic insulation straightened out and
more blown in, and a blower door test done before and after with any and all
gaps or leaks addressed.

A new furnace was installed, however, this was a choice on our part due to the
age of the existing furnace (28+ years) that was in the mid to upper 90%
efficiency range. Windows and doors were already good, so no need to do
anything there. While they weren't efficiency considerations, we added air
conditioning to the house with the new furnace and a mini-split to an addition
that was poorly insulated and conditioned.

Total cost? About $8,000 not including the AC and mini-split. We recovered
about $1,000 of those costs in rebates from state, local and Federal rebates
and tax credits.

It will take some years to recover the costs, but the real gain is in the level
of comfort that exists in the house. Parts of it were colder than heck, and I
can’t even begin to imagine what it was like with no insulation in the floor
(we had the insulation work done in September.) The PO installed a wood stove,
but we never use it as it’s not necessary.

The gas bill last month for heating, water heating (demand water heater) and
cooking was $93.00. Coldest month of the year so far, and we keep it at a
comfortable 68F during the day while turning it down to 66F at night. Ambients
can often get down into the single digits at night in the winter at this
location, so having that tight envelope with a solid amount of insulation makes
the place very efficient.

For those of us who lived through the energy crunch in the 1970s, the one good
thing it did was forced people to look more closely at efficiencies in how we
use energy as well as alternatives.

-D