The credits and tax rebates are provided up front, so if they’re present when
you do the work, you’re good. It’s the ongoing stuff like net metering that you
could lose out on, and in the case of solar, this is the primary benefit that
provides a reasonable payback.

Here’s one close to home:

Indiana offers a property tax credit for homeowners who install geothermal
heating systems. I don’t recall what it was, but it was a decent chunk of
money. When we lived there in 2008-10 we seriously considered a geothermal
system for the house, and that was one of the perks. Total cost was around
$18k, and I think between state and Federal credits and rebates our out of
pocket would have been around $11k. And those were all things that were
provided up front at the time of installation.

-D