Heh. Don’t come to Florida. That’s the first thing they’ll go after. If you’ve
got a roof that’s more than about 10-12 years old you’ll have a tough time
getting a policy.

The roof on the Flagstaff house is 20 years old and definitely worn. It’s
asphalt shingles and a relatively low pitch. They definitely have some wear and
are getting brittle. We knew this when we bought the place and fully expected
to have to put a roof on in the next 2-3 years anyway.

This is only one of a number of reasons the insurance company booted us. We
screwed up and went cheap, through a value-added service our long time mortgage
broker offered. The policy was with “Hippo”, a totally online home insurer.
They were easily $600 less than Allstate, our insurer of first resort. We’re
talking $1800 vs. $1200. I should have known something was fishy here.

About 3-4 months ago I got a copy of their underwriter’s report. I read through
it line by line and realized when I was done that this didn’t even sound like
our house. It wasn’t minor stuff, it was things like them saying it was
slab-on-grade when it’s on a foundation with a crawl space. They didn’t even
list the garage or note that it had living space (casita) in it.

I made a list of discrepancies and called them. Had to leave a message with a
customer service person, as I wasn’t allowed to speak to anyone in
underwriting. About two weeks later I get a call from someone in Underwriting,
and they told me they corrected some of the discrepancies I pointed out, but
the rest were “minor” issues I “shouldn’t worry about”. Yeah, that gave me the
warm fuzzies, for sure.

So this morning I get an email from them with a non-renewal notice:

"Stairs, porches or decks without a properly installed railing does not meet
underwriting eligibility. General condition of roof does not meet underwriting
eligibility. Unable to verify that the major systems of the home have been
updated.”

There are steps to the side door of the house made of pavers, professionally
done by the PO, but there’s no handrail. Think 180 degree 6” rise steps against
the exterior wall, four or five high, I think. Yeah, I’ll give them the roof.
“Unable to verify major systems”? They never inspected the house or even asked
to. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, all redone.

They screwed up and pooched this one, so they’re bailing. It’s that simple. And
that’s no doubt why they were so cheap, too. That’s on me, I should have known
better.

So tomorrow morning I’ll call our Allstate agent in Flagstaff.

-D