I suspect that the emissions are harder to limit when the engine is idling,
so that's why they shut off - not to save gas.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:59 PM Bob Rentfro via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> For fun, I left it enabled this entire trip. 14 days, 3850 miles. The car
> shut itself off for 23 minutes, approximately, and saved a reported 0.195
> gallons of fuel.
>
> AZBob
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 26, 2022, at 10:31 AM, Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > Not that I've ever heard.
> >
> > Wife's car has that stop/start and it has a standard-looking 12v
> lead/acid battery.
> >
> > I hate it too. I always disable it when I'm driving. Can't see how the
> pennies in gas it might save offsets all the extra wear on the starter.
> >

> >> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, at 12:23, Bob Rentfro via Mercedes wrote:
> >> Took the Subaru for its service today, since we just put 3865 miles on
> >> it, and I overheard an interesting conversation. A Karen had brought in
> >> her Outback because it didn’t restart after having shut itself off at a
> >> stoplight.  The service girl was telling her these cars that shut
> >> themselves off at lights to save gasoline require “special” batteries
> >> that Subaru would gladly sell her at $450 a pop.
> >> I wanted to stroll over and toss the bullshit flag, but I wasn’t 100%
> >> certain.
> >> I know nothing about this shutoff feature other than it annoys me and I
> >> don’t really like it because that was my first thought: when the
> >> battery starts to die it’s going to die at an intersection in Phoenix
> >> when it’s 118, ambient.
> >> These don’t require a special battery do they?
> >>
> >> AZBob
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPad

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!