> These old cars had vacuum operated wipers and would slow down on hills etc.
> In this case the wipers just quit working at all.

My 1960 Falcon has this system.  They work well enough, but not when you floor
it for passing.
This car has a double-headed fuel pump.  The same rubber diaphragm pumps fuel
on one side
and air on the other.  (As a booster for manifold vacuum.)  It is likely that
the booster stopped
working correctly.  Probably a check valve stopped sealing correctly.  If the
diaphragm had split
they'd have had worse problems.

Or maybe a hose came loose, or the drive cable from the knob (?) to the vacuum
motor came off?
The system is simple, and while it doesn't work particularly well it's
difficult to see how it would
fail to work at all, unless the cause were simple.

The very best supplement for this system is Rain-X.

-- Jim