I recall when I was maybe 16 my cousin got a pair of walkie talkies for
Christmas. We were messing around with them that night. It was very clear and
very cold.  This was in KY.  I thought hey we need a bigger antenna!  So I
stuck the WT antenna on the TV antenna mast and all the sudden we were picking
up chatter between 2 guys, one in Maine and one somewhere else I forget.

We listened a bit then I decided to join in and started saying stupid stuff in
the WT. apparently they picked it up (what were these things, 1/2watt?) and got
really upset and started yelling at us, threatening to get the FCC on us etc.
so we quit but I thought it was pretty amazing this little radio was
transmitting 100s of miles.

--FT
Sent from iFōn