Self-report, with any discrepancy billed on title transfer, or possibly require
periodic or random odometer check at BMV when you renew your registration. My
water bill used to be this way, they would only read the meter a couple of
times a year and we would self-report the reading monthly. That ended when they
got remotely-readable meters a few years ago.