On 2024-06-15 21:43, OK DonN via Mercedes wrote:

In several situations I see better than she does now, but the Dr wants me to get the cataracts out - but then he's the surgeon as well. I think I'll find an ophthalmologist who doesn't do the surgery for a second opinion.

I mentioned to my new optometrist that my ophthalmologist (retired five years ago) did both my parents' cataracts. He was not keen on the idea, thinks that a full time surgeon should do that work. Both my parents' operations were successful without complications but I never considered asking his successor if he did surgery.

A friend of mine went to a somewhat famous surgeon who is the founding partner in a huge practice, back when the founder did surgery full time. The operations were a success, but the planned result was what the surgeon thought the patient should want, not what the patient actually wanted. My new optometrist said "I hate when they play God". (the issue was monovision, which my friend didn't want and the surgeon thought everybody should have). I'm in the "no monovision" camp. I want perfect binocular vision, and if I have to wear reading glasses, so be it. It's better than wearing distance and reading glasses because one eye doesn't do distance and one eye doesn't do near.