...And they came off fairly easily, now that I knew where/how to apply
force.  I counted the turns to remove the end from the car's rod (19),
and put back the 'new' end to match.  Again, this should be close
enough until I can get the car aligned.  The boots on the tie rod were
starting to crack and tear, though the joints themselves were still
clean and greasy.  I used acetone and Shoe Goo to patch the tears.  I
really ought to replace the tie rod, but this job should do for a
couple of years.  I've got more immediate problems to deal with before
I go spending money I don't have on the car.  Moving on to the icky
ball joint problem...

-- Jim