I agree, Toyoto quality has slipped -- sadly, particularly since they moved
production to North America (the Corolla is now built in Canada). That being
said, however, just ask at any rental outlet that has Toyotas and they will
tell you Toyota is still way out in front compared to their domestics.

In any case, Toyota was never perfect. Three examples I know of are the
'black death' sludge buildup problem in Tercels, the infamous rust problems
in their late-80s/90s pickups, and a block porosity problem in the motors
they put into the 4Runners.

Incidentally, Toyota is every bit as bad as the Big Three in terms of
addressing chronic issues like these. They never did anything for owners
(and refuse to acknowledge the problems exist).

Me, I am much more of a Honda and Nissan fan myself. Toyotas until recently
were about as exciting as a food processor (MR2 and Supra excepted).

Now Zedic is going to burst a blood vessel, someone having peed on Toyota,
;-). Tee hee.

Mac