And don't forget the little resistive coil inside the blower box that would fail for no apparent reason, on the coldest day of the year, while driving to work on the freeway, and cause the blower to fail to blow the defroster which failed to defrost the window and froze you while you could not see anything, causing you to take the whole system apart that dark cold afternoon at work with no proper tools, and trying to find out what was wrong, on the coldest day after coldest night of the year. Fine engineering.

--R

Potter, Tom E wrote:
I remember those foot-powered dimmers too. I had one of those that
worked intermittently. I don't know who panicked most when the
headlights went out when I tried to dim them; me or the oncoming
traffic.

And GM wonders why nobody wants their vehicles. They never could produce
a heater fan switch that lasted very long.
Tom Potter