To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cruise Control Amp 1979 240D

Jim Cathey wrote:
Jim  I bought a good iron tip not a gun.  I took one look at that gun
and
said no way.

You also need some good solder, and may find that some sort of solder
removal device (I use a Solda-pullit) to remove excess will come in
handy.
And do not overlook the paint stripper step.  Really.

I'd also highly recommend you practice on something you don't care
about, first.  Start by soldering wires together.  (This is a useful
skill in automotive work, anyway.)  Then disassemble an old clock radio
or something like that and try resoldering those joints, or buy a small
kit that includes a PC board and put it together.
(www.ramseyelectronics.com has some.)  Soldering well is a skill you
learn with practice.  It's not hard, but like anything your early
results won't look so good.  It will open up a whole new world of
electronics repair and fabrication for you, though.  It's so nice to be
able to buy connectors and such without having to worry about whether
the terminals are solder-type or screw-type.