The button only engaged the 5th gear if you were in 4th. It has it's
own clutch supposedly, but always shifted a bit hard for me so I would
clutch it like any other gear - especially on ice. I recall that it
was bolted on between the transmission and the driveshaft and
functioned externally and independently to the manual transmission
except for the 4th gear interlock, although it's been so long that I
can't remember what the thing looked like from underneath.

I distinctly remember that the 700 series that followed was "tinny"
(lightweight and flimsy) compared to the 240's. The 240's gave you a
solid cluck when you closed the doors. The 700's vibrated and
resonated through the sheetmetal and frame. That's why I never got
another Volvo.

The Peugeot had comfier seats, even better than the Mercedes of the
day, but there is no way I'd buy a car made in France; and I'm French.

-Dave Walton