Jim Cathey wrote:
>> totally OT question - how did that electronic OD work?
>
> My guess is the usual: a bolt-on planetary gear with a solenoid
> to engage/disengage a clutch on the outside.  A planetary gear,
> with nothing pinned down, doesn't change the gear ratio.

That's basically it, as far as my limited understanding goes.  It was
manufactured by Laycock, so Googling "Laycock overdrive" will probably
find a description of its internals.  The same unit was used on Triumph
TR4s and some other cars.  I can't quite visualize how it works; I get
lost somewhere in all the talk about Sprague clutches and such.

In stock form there's a 4th gear interlock switch to prevent it from
engaging in any gear but 4th.  I'm told bypassing the switch isn't a
good idea as the overdrive doesn't take the greater torque in lower
gears very well.  Also, trying to back up with it engaged is said to
destroy it almost instantly.

Interestingly enough, early versions of the owner's manual say that
clutching while shifting the overdrive is unnecessary, but suggest
pushing the clutch in slightly to smooth the shift.  Later versions
unequivocally recommended pushing the clutch in fully.  Perhaps there
were some wear issues with unclutched shifts?

Mine was a bit worn, which made it slow to engage, but it worked very
well otherwise.  The 4-speed plus overdrive is said to be sturdier and
longer-lived than the conventional 5-speed that followed.  Apparently
the 5-speed had some lubrication issues.