Tyler Backman wrote:
> .Everyone I know who has owned one of these had the transmission
> suddenly and unexpectedly fail, with repair costs over the worth of
> the vehicle. I know of about 5 that this has happened to with Taurus
> (es?) and Sables.... What's really weird is that it always seems to
> be exacty at or very very close to 150k miles.

Big RWD Fords, in my experience have roughly the same transmission life.
 Some time between 100K and 150K they usually need a transmission
rebuild, especially if used for trailer towing.  But then, a lot of
Mercedes transmissions have well-known flaws that cause rather sudden
failures, too.  (B2 piston, etc.)