No doubt about it - those Macs are good. I might need to play with one
some day. So is Linux. You don't constantly hack at your linux
firewall/server however - you set it up, and it just runs. I've had NT
servers that did the same thing. They got replaced (at work) for
hardware support contract reasons (some people are VERY risk adverse).
I have a P90 over drive chipped Windows 95 box that I keep just for
programming AVL Genesis slide shows. It's the only motherboard I have
left that will accept a full length, full height ISA board (AVL
Genesis). It was up graded to W95 in 1996, and haven't required
anything since. It hasn't been patched since we stopped surfing the
Internet with it years ago - just runs when I want it (not that often
now).
Your home network runs circles around mine! I'll save this for the
next time my wife asks why I need to add another component to it!