It's good to be getting these cold weather starting tips.

Kinda intersting: before I'd read any MB manual or heard any of this advice,
I found through trial and error that my newly purchased 83 240D (with engine
that would only last another few hundred miles) could really only be started
in a strikingly similar fashion to what has been described (even though the
coldest it was overnight there was around 40 or so).

Actually I'd start cranking (after glowing of course) and then I'd hit it to
the floor once and begin pumping as the starter cranked. I guess I'm a
pumper due to my carbureted days.

Brian