Zoltan Finks wrote:
> Yup. I know pumping is bad - my foot just wants to do it. I'ts like, come
> on, baby, you can do it!

I've been known to talk to the car to try to coax it into starting.
Probably about as effective as pumping, and less wear on the throttle
linkage. ;)

Repeated pumping doesn't help a diesel at all, doesn't help a
fuel-injected car at all, and can actually be counterproductive on a car
with a carb.  (That shot of gas from the carburetor's accelerator pump
may, in moderation, help with cold starting, but repeated pumping is
more likely to just flood the thing.)

*One* pump before starting can be beneficial, though.  On Mercedes
diesels it's rumored to get the rack away from the stop position.  On
carbureted engines it often sets the high idle cam.  And on some early
throttle-body-injected Fords it calibrated the throttle position sensor.