my father came to america in 1950, when we still built cars that were
the standard for the world.  when i was a kid in the 70s, my dad would
look at all the new cars in great sadness, stunned at the build and
finish quality.  he declared the big 3 to be diseased and dying.

i don't think my dad saw anything that millions of others didn't see.
it was obvious.  except the caretakers of the US auto industry, the
men paid huge sums to money to see and correct such thing, didn't have
a clue.

same thing at benz today, no?

things just repeat themselves.  no one learns anything.  there was
once this foreign adventure in a place called vietnam where i was told
we learned some great lesson, but now we see we've learned nothing.
the emperor never has any clothes and is always the last one to figure
it out.