I've been reading some of the Waverly novels (out of embarrassment
from owning the whole set, and having read only a few) - Scott's
stories about 17th and 18th century England, and the commentary about
the circumstances, are sadly reflective of today -- it's surprising
how many situations and quotes could be puled from current newspapers.
Even when the folly of the past is documented, included in popular
fiction, and taught, it keeps being repeated over and over. I read an
article recently that was questioning how much "free will" we actually
have, and how much is an illusion. It looks like more is programmed in
than we like to think.