Now you guys are getting into my area of expertise.

Quality has to be designed into and not inspected into a product.
Inspection's place is as a measuring tool and in the case of an identified
quality issue, a filter to bring a sub-standard lot back up to acceptable
standards. Quality systems are also designed to manage manufacturing defects
because no matter how good the design, people still assemble the product.
Most of the defects that customers see in new cars are the result of
manufacturing errors combined with escapes from the quality system, not
design flaws. They escape because no manufacturing system is perfect.

It may seem odd but a quality product is not always the absolute best
design. A quality product is one that meets the customer's needs at the
lowest cost. Mercedes and most other manufacturers can design cars that will
run reliably for 1,000,000's of miles but these cars would not meet their
customer's needs. For starters, they would be way too expensive. Plus, I
suspect that they would weigh about 3X as much as a modern S class Mercedes
because the over-engineered (never to fail) drive line, charging system,
starting system, etc would be much more heavy duty than what's being
produced today. The cars would probably get worse gas mileage than an early
70's Caddy.

Now back to the "customer's needs at the lowest cost" statement that I made.
Mercedes are designed to fill a market segment and that segment has a finite
price range. I know that they sell some cars in the 100K+ range but they
sell very few of those. Their main lines are the C, E & M class Mercedes and
these range from the mid 30's through the 70's for some AMG models. Every
one of these cars are full of design "compromises" to control cost but there
is nothing wrong with controlling cost. Also, every car manufacturer (no
exception) is driven to find the lowest cost sources of quality components
possible including Lexus, Toyota and Honda. It's just part of business.

There is another metrics tied to quality - MTBF. MTBF stands for Mean Time
Before Failure. Every major module on a car has a MTBF rating - it's the
expected average lifespan of the part. This is as much true for the engine
as well as it is for the alternator. Even the door hinges have a MTBF
rating. The designers expect the doors to be opened & closed a certain
number of times during the lifespan of the car & hinges are designed to
support this plus a reasonable buffer.

I've owned enough Mercedes to know that the MTBF of the accessory items is
not too long on the older models. For example, I would expect to loose an
alternator before 100,000 miles. But today's cars run 150,000 + miles before
accessories start dropping out. Why? Because the components have a much
better MTBF rating! In other words, they are higher quality.

Also, I've been around long enough to remember when your "new car", Mercedes
included, would have at least 6 annoyance items that you would have to get
the dealer to "fix". These just don't exist anymore and it's another sign of
the higher quality of today's cars.

Then there is another element - early life failure. No matter how good the
design, some percentage of modules will fail prematurely. The failures could
be due to random component failure in an electronic assembly or a mechanical
failure.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com