On the issue of quantity of humanities v. engineering graduates, I suspect there are too many under-qualified people being allowed into colleges. When you actually had to pay for the education, you had a better quality student entering. Now any idiot that can claim some affiliation with a minority group supported by an entitlement program gets a free education.

If these people were employed in manufacturing jobs, maybe the quality would go up, because the more qualified would be educated either on the job, or through a business degree.

On Jan 14, 2007, at 12:06 PM, LarryT wrote:

you wrote:<<most of my current managers (in a materials supply industry)
have degrees in Liberal Arts>>

Hmmm, I wonder if that is because of the low # of engineering/scientist our
colleges are turning out?  Along with a high # of Liberal Arts degrees
forcing a glut on the market - so a company that is looking for a Bachelors
degree holder must accept whatever comse in the door?

While the US still leads the world in most areas I gotta wonder how long we can keep that position while putting square pegs into round holes? Those
managers can do an amazing amount of damage to morale and the product.

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
Porsche Road Test http://members.rennlist.com/roadtest/
.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mercedes Quality vs Toyota

The US plants have American managers. If they are like the ones I have
currently at my current job (major US company as a contractor), they
can turn any set of parts into junk.

The notion that "if you know how to do it you are prohibited from
managing it" seems to be universal in the US -- the only thing that
counts is daily cash savings.  Actual knowledge appears to disqualify
one to manage anything -- most of my current managers (in a materials
supply industry) have degrees in Liberal Arts.....

Naturally, you get lousy product as a result.

Peter