Maybe the Prius has some good points, but I notice that the people who drive them seem to be 1) "holier than thou"-looking types (I know, that is a bad way to put it, but when you look at someone you can usually get a half-decent read of their personality) with "progressive" stickers on the bumpers, or 2) rather clueless consumers who heard that it is a good thing and go pay for it not really analyzing the whole deal, or 3) status-seekers among their crowd. Your MSFT guy probably fits in at least 2 of these groups if not all 3. Most of my community probably fits that profile as well. There is probably a very small percentage who really understand all the factors, and make the decision. But I also see a lot of VW TDIs around, and new diesel Benzes for those in that price range. A lot of old diesel Benzes driven by people like this group!

I think there is a lot of marketing going on these days about fuel mileage and global climate change and such, that is not reality-based in many respects. Who knows what the answer is ( a combination of behaviors and equipment I would think), but somehow I just don't get the feeling that the Prius is the whole answer. And I wonder too why they don't make these kinds of cars plug-in hybrids right out of the box to gain even more efficiencies.

--R

Redghost wrote:
Microscum slave next door just had the sales folks over yesterday to demonstrate cars at his house. He trades the saturn for a toyota. He was looking at the camry hybrid, but settled on the prius. He was strutting his stuff about what a great move he had made. I did not feel the need to knock him off his pedestal and let him know just what a fake goodness he had done. Saw him chatting up the other neighbor with a new diesel VW about what a smooth move the hybrid was. Fool works for the evil empire, figure he is clueless, so why waste good breath pointing out his failures

clay