I suggest that service people often try to hide their ineptitude behind an
accusation that the customer is being
impolite. I had lunch with my accountant yesterday and he was telling me about
a recent run-in with the tax
department. They had applied a payment on an account to the future as an
installment payment instead of to already
outstanding taxes owing. He called to get it straightened out and spoke to some
dolt who did not seem able to
understand what he wanted them to do. He says he was extremely patient and
tried a number of times to get the
person to understand what he was telling them. The government employee became
upset and accused him of being rude.
He says at that point he politely asked what he had said that could be
construed as rude and suggested that the
truth was that she was being rude to him. She then hung up on him. Got to love
dealing with the tax man!

Randy

-----Original Message----- or at least part of it

Having spent about half my career in Customer Service under the guise of
technical support I can tell you honestly
its worse when you've been in the business.
The only tip I can give you is to start every call (as a customer) all peaches
and cream and keep the sharpened
steel under wraps until you need it. Then when the steel is needed bring it out
slowly, just a peek at first.
All support people I know work under the "I give what I get" theory. That is
I'm nice and competant until the
customer isn't polite to me, then I suddenly lose all will to live and courtesy
flies out the window.

-Curt