Ed, when you are stopped in D with this high idle problem, you are putting
extreme pressure on the transmission which will lead very shortly to a Ka
Blamo of the transmission.

Don't drive it until you can get this serious problem fixed. My 92 500SL is
now sitting in my garage as undriveable until I can get the same problem
fixed. My issue is a bad ETA.

Again, your transmission is having a serious fight with the engine and guess
who's going to win?