When is the last time you tested your O2 sensor, in a KE car the O2
sensor is the most important input when the car is at operating range.
If it is telling the system that the exhaust is lean then the FI
computer will try and dump more fuel into the motor.
However if this is an intermittent problem I would be looking at temp
sensor going wonky, which will tell the idle adjustment motor to up the
amount of air going into the motor.
Air leak? Doubtful as it would be a constant thing and a vacuum tube
leaking (which can be intermittent) wouldn't cause this amount of high
idle. Just to explain this a bit more, in order to have a high smooth
idle of 1700-2000 you need both more air and fuel, just having one will
make the car run like a dog. So if you have an air leak on the other
side of the air flow sensor plate then you will not have more fuel going
into the engine and as such will have a lean mixture (lots of air but
not enough fuel).
How familiar are you with the CIS/E system? What you really wanna do is
to reproduce the problem on demand by making the motor think it is cold
when in fact it is at operating temp. If by doing this it goes up to the
high idle you mentioned, then you know which circuit is being naughty.
Also the later KE (KE3(?)) systems have a primitive fault code readout
which is easy to do with the right equipment.
Hopefully others will stop talking about you know what and help you out
with your real MB problem.
BTW is it a E300 or 300E, they are two very different cars with very
different FI systems.