On 11/1/07, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My wife has recently pointed out motorcylist's tendency to hug the
> > yellow center line, presumably to send a message to car drivers that
> > the motorcyclist is entitled to their space and they are willing to
> > claim it. Same thing here - what if someone calls your bluff? (or is
> > watching TV)
>
> Partly that, and partly to stay out of the oil slick in the center
> and the grabby ruts down the car tire tracks.

Now wait a minute---somebody else earlier in this thread said the tire
track is the place to be, because there's more traction there.  (From
the rubber deposits?)  So which is it---is riding in the car tracks
correct motorcycling technique or not?  (I've never been on a
motorcycle despite a strong lust for old BMW boxers, so forgive me in
advance if this is Biker 101 curriculum.)

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.