From: "Curt Raymond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Diesel List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 12/4/07 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Synthetic Oils

I've oft considered becoming an Amsoil distributor but I gotta say I
hate their marketing model. If they'd just sell the dammed stuff I'd
probably buy it.

AFAIK (mostly from stuff Marshall and others have said) Amsoil is very
good oil. I've used their 100:1 2stroke oil (although not at 100:1, I'm
a chicken) and its fantastic.
Amsoil is Mobil 1 basestock with different additives and is said to be
every bit as good as Mobil 1. If I could get it locally at competitive
prices (like the same as Mobil 1) I'd use it.

One could switch to dino oil in the summer but my question is "why
bother" because you can indeed extend your oil changes.
My 190D is on track for an 11,000 mile change this weekend (in the cold
and snow, brrr!) I've been having oil analysis done and at 10,000 miles
on the last change all indicators were normal so this time we'll try
11k.
Assuming everything is normal at 11k and I've no reason to believe it
won't be, I'll change the oil in 12,000 more miles and get another
analysis and so on until I get an analysis that indicates I should back
off. I'll roll back to the closest thousand (maybe another thousand back
for safety) and call it good.

Why? Well #1 it saves money, I'll use Mobil 1 for ease of winter
starting anyway so this saves me money.
#2 Why waste oil if its not doing anything for me? As Marshall always
said why change the oil before its actually used up?
#3 Why waste my time changing the oil? If I were using conventional oil
I'd be on the 3,000 mile change regimine which would have be changing
the oil every other month. This way I change the oil twice a year (well
a bit more but you get the idea). My time is worth something after all.
Sure I'll freeze changing the oil this weekend but I won't plan on doing
it again until spring...

As with everything your mileage may vary.

HTH

-Curt