Just a couple thoughts from my inquisitive mind:
1. I often wonder about the effects changing oil too frequently - in terms
of environmental impact? Or is it negligible compared to the oil needed to
produce fuel?

I guess one could also think about the impact of having to too frequently
dispose of oil and filters (and the rags, and inevitable spills).
2. There used to be a guy we would sometimes run into when out cruising on
the weekends in our hot rods. He said he was an engineer for Chrysler in the
60's and tested a bunch of their performance cars and equipment. All would
stand around and attentively listen as he would pontificate. Jeff Shenk his
name. He was perhaps our "Marshall" (respectfully said).

One thing Jeff used to say back then was that people change their oil too
frequently. I had him put my '68 up on one of his lifts once to look at
something, I forget what. He used to make his own mufflers - they sounded
like Flowmasters - and this before Flowmasters got popular (the best
sounding muffler by the way).

Brian