It seems than at Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:56:47 -0600, R wrote:

> Should the generator itself be grounded? I can't help thinking
> that there should be a connection from the generator frame to
> a good ground. I have considered driving a ground rod in and
> either keeping a ground wire on it all of the time or setting
> up something that would permit a quick ground connection at
> either end.

Yes.

Or no.

There should be one and only one place were ground and neutral
are bonded together. This is usually done at the first load
center (circuit breaker panel). This is also the usual place for
the wire from the ground rod to also be bonded to the panel
ground.

If you are connecting a generator through this breaker panel,
don't add another ground rod.

If, however, you are running extension cords from the generator
to each of the appliances, then it would be a really good idea
to bond the generator neutral to generator ground and a ground
rod.

The reason is that earth is not a very good conductor, thus if there
is a lightning strike there will be a voltage difference (possibly
thousands of volts) between the ground rods. And and that difference
will cause current flow in your wires.

--           Philip