Larry,

SATA is only the interface and the drive mechanics are exactly the same as a
standard ATA or SCSI drive. That's not to say that SCSI is not faster. The
mechanicals in a SCSI drive are usually faster but these are also more
expensive, commercial drives.

You will get a performance boost because cache reads will be much faster.
Hopefully your new drive also has a 16 MB cache which will also help with
performance. Also, you need to look at the drive jumper settings. Some of
the SATA/300 drives ship pre-jumpered for the SATA/150 standard.

The heat issue from some newer drives comes from the continuous push for
performance. Decreasing seek time (increasing head travel speed) and
increasing platter RPM all add up to more heat being generated by the drive
motor, the linear head motor and the drive circuitry. In other words, the
same mechanics behind any interface causes the same issue.

SCSI drives get hot too and for the same reason. But commercial SCSI drive
bays are designed with plenty of air circulation and the heat is pulled
away. This is one reason most servers have the drives mounted out front &
room air is pulled past the drives on the way through the case. The other
reason is to give the ability to hot swap a drive.

Problems occur when you install higher performing drives in a desktop
because they usually sit behind the front cover where there is poor air
circulation. And it does not help that some cases pull their CPU cooling air
in from the side cover, making up for all of the air being pulled out of the
case by the power supply and completely eliminating any airflow through the
front cover.

But the solution is really simple. Most if not all good cases come with
mounting holes in the front for a fan and you just need to mount a fan
there, pointing to the drives. Pull the front cover off your box & I suspect
that you will find 4 small mounting holes punched in the front sheet metal.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924