That's the procedure they use for testing Scuba cylinders. It's called
a Hydrostatic test. Immerse the cylinder in water and measure the
additional displacement when the tank is pressurized as a test of the
expansion properties of the metal. Old metal becomes brittle and does
not expand as easily. They over pressurize the tank in the process to
see if it bursts. They pressurize with water because it contracts less
under pressure so that when a tank bursts, the damage to the test rig
from the sudden release of pressure is minimal.

-Dave Walton