It seems than at Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:31:23 -0400, Mitch wrote:

> You tried to make a 13ga shunt for something drawing hundreds
> of amps? Seems too light to me.
> Mitch.

Well, my experience suggests you are right. *smile* At least
with a shorted starter...

6 inches of 13 AWG.

Heat is the death of copper wire. And heat dissipation involves
time. So any wire can manage quite a bit of current for short
periods of time. And in open air, it can dissipate heat fairly
well. Open air, continuous, with insulation, it can carry nearly
40 amps. So I was hoping that for less than one second it would
manage okay with 10x that.

I think that starter was drawing more than 400 A, though.

Anyway, that experiment went up in smoke, and the car has a
working starter - so I'm not likely to take up this project
'till next time I need it.

But I would really like to have a baseline to figure from, so
maybe I'll find some time.

--               Philip