> Are you saying it could be worn brushes?

Not really.  I don't really know what I'm talking
about, just dredging up bits and pieces from power
lab 25 years ago.  Motors can be wound in a wide
variety of ways, and a starter motor is a candidate
for a series winding architecture.  All the current
goes through both the field and the armature then,
through the brushes.  But if the armature's field
(as opposed to the field's field?  shall we switch
to rotor and stator for terms?) is weak it won't
provide back-EMF to tone down the stator current,
nor will it provide torque.

DC motors have the interesting characteristic that
if you turn off the rotor current the motor overspeeds
to destruction as the rotor field decays.  _That_
was drummed into our heads by the lab instructor,
who naturally didn't want to see that happen to our
test sets.

> Or does the field winding spin on these things?

No, I'm talking about the stationary part.

-- Jim