> If the resistance goes up, the current draw will have to go
> _down_! If we are to believe Ohm's law.

Compound-wound motors can act in some counterintuitive ways.
The two magnetic fields fight each other to produce torque
_and_ push down the field current.  If the armature is weak
you won't get the torque you need, and the field current
rises to ridiculous levels.  Double whammy.

Ohm's law (the short form) doesn't really apply to motors.
There are entire college courses on things like motors.
AC vector analysis, magnetic saturation curves, etc.
I've forgotten most of it by now.

-- Jim