It seems than at Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:35:04 -0600, Craig wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:18:29 -0500 Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > But I would really like to have a baseline to figure from, so
> > maybe I'll find some time.
>
> How about measuring the voltage drop on the wire from the
> battery to the starter? Positive lead on the battery terminal,
> negative lead on the starter terminal ...

I do have that.

0.26 - 0.3 V for the good starters, 1.5 V for the shorted one
when hot and not working. This is also with the glow plug relay
control cable disconnected so no supply voltage droop because of
glow plugs.

But that is only valid on this car - because I'm pretty sure the
positive cable has been upgraded. I know the negative has.

I guess I should share all the numbers anyway,

"B+" is the clamp on the positive terminal on the battery.
"B-" is the clamp on the negative terminal on the battery.
"M+" is the copper braid wire between the solenoid to the motor itself.
"M-" is a threaded hole on the back of the starter motor.
"C"  is the body end of the negative battery cable
"S+" is the input terminal on the solenoid

On the old started when it worked and the on the "new" starter.

12.6     B+  to  B-
 0.15    B+  to  S+
 0.18    S+  to  M+
 0.33    B+  to  M+