Unfortunately, I think that race and gender has very much to do with this
election. It should not, but it does.
You know, I don't believe any race is superior to any other. So I could get
beyond my initial, natural discomfort at the thought of having a Black
president (well, half black) IF I didn't KNOW that for many out there, it IS
about race. And at least in part, I place Barack himself in this group of
many. The first time I heard him give a speech that included language like
"it's about time" or "they said it couldn't happen" (these are loose quotes)
my fears were confirmed about Obama. And I know that for millions out there,
it's about electing a Black president too. These millions are not just the
Black voters, but all who think it's "about time".

In my mind, we should strive to be totally blind to race. This would define
the lack of racism. Every time we celebrate the first time a given race
accomplishes something, we stoke the fire of racism.

As for the gender issue in this election: See above - for it all applies.

Brian