I'm sure that John got a good deal regardless. I know him well enough to
know that he would not have bought the Mercedes otherwise.

A dealership may "loose money" on an individual used car sale. For example,
he may take a car in trade for $10,000 that's worth much less. But he won't
loose money in the overall trade.

For example:

Joe Somebody drives his minivan in to trade on a new Mercedes.

The Stealership gives him a $3000 trade-in allowance on a C class.

Joe Somebody feels good about the trade because he knows that his minivan is
only worth $500.00 - and that's only with a full tank of gas! He thinks he's
"got one over" on the dealership.

But Joe Somebody does not know that there is a buffer built into the selling
price of the car for just this event.

Joe Somebody drives his shiny new Mercedes to work, bragging about the great
trade-in he got for his old minivan.

Jane Somebody Else with 36 kids in tow comes in and buys the minivan for
$1800.

On the books, the Stealership lost $1200 on the minivan that they sold to
Jane Somebodyelse ($3000 C class trade in - $1800 sale). And they are proud
to show this, leaving Jane Somebodyelse with the impression that she really
did get a great deal.

But they made lots of $$$ on the entire string of transactions because they
did very well on the C class sale. And they did especially well on the
minivan sale because they would have sold it at auction for only $300.00.

This same scenario is played out at every Stealership, every day. Now you
know why I call them Stealerships!!!!

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com