On 4 Dec 2001, at 11:48, Nathan Russell wrote:

> For the information of the list, the folks who *want* to try to get
> exponents below (the presumed) M#39 might want to look into manually
> fetching work at 2:00 (IIRC) in the morning Eastern standard (7 or 8 GMT),
> when the server releases exponents of folks who have stopped participating
> without properly quitting.

The best time to get small exponents is 0601 GMT.

I thought the point of the original message was that someone
specifically wanted to get larger exponents. The best time to do
that is 0559 GMT. You do run a "risk" that someone will throw
back a "small" exponent just before you grab one, but you can
always throw it back & try again another day.

  You face a small risk that the original tester
> will submit a result, but even in that case you'll get credit for the
> double-check (though that would be a small consolation if a prime were
> found).

This would be an interesting situation:

(a) I acquire an assignment, let it expire but carry on working on it

(b) You grab the assignment when it's recycled

Case 1: I finish first, find a prime and announce my discovery. I did
the work but the exponent is assigned to you! Who gets the
credit??? Well, I suppose I _could_ grab the credit by making a
public announcement without checking the result in to
GIMPS/PrimeNet, but this is definitely against the spirit of the
project. Conversely you hardly deserve to get the credit for a
discovery which you haven't yet made. I think it's better to withhold
publicity until you finish, then we can be treated as co-discoverers.

Case 2: We both finish independently (it doesn't matter in which
order, provided that we are not in direct contact with each other &
aren't aware of each other's discovery until after we have
communicated the result to GIMPS/PrimeNet). This case is clear
cut, we're co-discoverers.

Case 3: You finish first & communicate your discovery through
GIMPS/PrimeNet in the "usual" way. This case is also clear, you're
the discoverer.

This probably needs to be spelled out in legal language just in case
it happens in a situation where a substantial cash prize is involved
(enough for it to be worthwhile paying to fight a court case).