At 09:59 PM 12/4/2001 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>This would be an interesting situation:
>
>(a) I acquire an assignment, let it expire but carry on working on it
>
>(b) You grab the assignment when it's recycled
>
>Case 1: I finish first, find a prime and announce my discovery. I did
>the work but the exponent is assigned to you! Who gets the
>credit???

You, get the credit.  User b will be mighty disheartened.  I know first hand.
Slowinski's Cray beat my own Pentium-90 by just a few days in the discovery
of M#34.

As to legal issues, the disclaimer section of the download page states:

We are not responsible for lost prize money, fame, credit, etc. should
someone accidentally or maliciously test the number you are working on and
find it to be prime.