Gary,

You will need to work with sockets to duplicate Flamethrower's functionality.
I've ported a large Flamethrower project to Metacard with little trouble. I
started with the httpd server stack (available at Metacard's site), became
familiar with sockets, and then rewrote all of the cgi_X() functions I was
using in Flamethrower in plain Metatalk. For example, to implement
cgiReply(), you will need to write the appropriate HTTP headers to the
socket, followed by your HTML source. In most cases, this is very simple.
I can share some of my code if it would be helpful.

Brian