Recently, Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

> Where does one draw the line? I vote for syntax in common terminology
> which the majority of people can understand. Avoidance of technical
> jargon is important in an xtalk language. "Blend" is technical jargon
> apparently familiar to graphic designers.

But is "blend" really so technical?  I want to "blend" this image with
whatever is behind it.  This doesn't sound like technical jargon to me.

I think you have a stronger case against: srcCopy, notSrcAnd, noop,
notSrcXor, etc etc.

> "Transparency" (or even
> "opacity") is self-explanatory to anyone. The same jargon occurs with
> "alphaData" -- undoubtedly familiar to graphics programmers, but not so
> familiar to us.

I agree, but I think you might concur that alphaData is more approachable
than the above terms.

Whenever I see the term "notSrcBic", for a split second I think: "A Bic
lighter should not be used to ignite this object".

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design