I bet you were trying to set the scripts that had more than 10 lines and exactly that limit prevented you from doing so. If you test, you will see that setting shorter scripts works. Once they change the limit to 0, setting scripts in standalones will not be possible at all. From what I understand, the "do" limit will remain at 10.

I think that they are becoming slowly more paranoid about someone producing a competing interface or producing programs that bypass the licensing system.

Yes it was more than 10 lines. The way the game was written in Hypercard, if the object had a script, it was *active*. If it didn't, it was inactive. Objects were activated/inactivated this way. Only one object, or group of objects, could be active at a time, and I set this at the start of the round, by setting/deleting scripts.

No big deal. I just did this another way in Metacard. Though I sure wish I had know from the get-go. It would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Here I had a project that worked, all bugs had been squashed. I ported it to Metacard, made sure it worked, compiled it into a standalone, and voila. It broke. I jumped thru a bunch of hoops trying to figure out why. At the time I didn't know that the standalone had limits over the stack, nor was it very clear in the docs everything those limits affected. So I whittled away I don't know how many days trying to get to the bottom of that one.

Which brings me back to the original question:

I would still like to know exactly what the new changes will affect, in case it is something that my current projects use. If I upgrade, I want to know beforehand what upgrading will break. I would rather not go thru several months of beta testing for a project that has had a minor feature added, in order to make sure the new MC engine doesn't break something that wasn't broke before.

A "this is what you can't do anymore" FAQ would save us a lot of time and frustration. We can read it, determine whether our projects will be affected, and change them if necessary. Much better than trying to track down a bug that didn't used to be there.

I'd like to see this change from MC to Rev, be smoother than the change from HC to MC.

Shari C
Gypsy King Software
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--